[SunHELP] Physical memory used on a Sun 3800

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR ( SDaubigne@bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com ) SDaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com
Wed Jan 15 05:10:03 CST 2003

Starting from Solaris 8, the file cache and the anonymous memory use a
separate free list. This new architecture avoids freeing anonymous memory to
the swap device when you do heavy I/O and the file cache is still large.
Another consequence is that high vmstat "sr" values indicates a memory
shortage (like other Unix), which was not necessary the case with pre-8
Solaris versions (because there was high "sr" value when you did heavy I/O).
There is a good URL which explains the differences between the former and
the new memory algorithm  :

http://soldc.sun.com/articles/sol8memory.html
<http://soldc.sun.com/articles/sol8memory.html>

The best tool I know for monitoring memory utilisation is the SUN RMCmem
package, which is available for Solaris 2.6,2.7,8,9.
To get this package, send a mail to memtool-request at chessie.eng.sun.com
<mailto:memtool-request at chessie.eng.sun.com>
I still don"t understand why Sun does not bundle this product with Solaris,
or at least does not put in on its Web site as free download.

Additionnal informations about RMCmem can be obtained in the following URL :

http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/itworld/UIR980301perf.html
<http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/itworld/UIR980301perf.html>
http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/vmsizing.pdf
<http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/vmsizing.pdf>