[SunHELP] Physical memory used on a Sun 3800

Tue Jan 14 13:22:06 CST 2003

Hello gurus,

We've just taken over the management of a couple SunFire 3800 servers
running Solaris 8 and I was looking for some options on capturing memory
utilization. As I understand systems running pre-Solaris8 there is something
called "file buffer cache" or "file system buffer" that utilizes "unused"
physical memory to cache file system information. This "file buffer cache"
causes utilities like vmstat to show very low free memory when in fact
that's not the case. Again my understanding is that Solaris will free memory
for other applications from the "file system cache" when applications need
it.

Now is it true that the free column in vmstat under Solaris 8/9 gives you a
more meaningful number in terms of actual memory free?

If someone could set me in the right direction in terms of the best method
for determining memory utilization on Solaris 8/9 systems, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Matthew