[SunHELP] backup Sol9 to AIX?

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Fri Jan 3 17:36:22 CST 2003

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 07:46:54PM +0000, Eric Webb wrote:

| We recently got in a two Sun Fire V100s that we need to back up.  (Let's not
| even get into why we got these... pure IDE and no SCSI stinks in my book.)

They're not that bad.

| These are our first Sun machines -- we're an IBM shop.
|
| One of our IBM H50's has a dual DLT library attached and we'd like to see
| about using ADSM to back up these Solaris9 boxes.  I'm not sure if there's an
| ADSM client out for Solaris

There is.  Get it.

| but we could do something where we backed up Solaris to a disk file
| on the RS/6000 (maybe via NFS) and then have ADSM back that local
| file up to tape.

Ewww ...

Just get the Solaris ADSM client ...

| Any ideas out there?  I'm not familiar with backup commands / methods in
| Solaris yet

They're going to be quite similar.  Solaris administration is a bit
different -- no smit (admintool doesn't even come close), no `command
for every little systems administration task for smit to run', but
it's not too big of a stretch.

Programs like ADSM are usually very similar from architecture to
architecture.  Differences will sometimes begin to appear when you run
into the Windows versions, however :)

| so any comparison of the methods available in Solaris to those
| available under AIX would help.

The methods available are pretty similar.  The built-in options may
have different names (dump instead of mksysb, for example) but they do
similar things (but not exactly the same -- dump and mksysb do things
differently.)  tar and cpio will be almost exactly the same.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
On the other hand, you have different fingers