[SunHELP] Net booting a Netra X1

Ben Ricker bricker at wellinx.com
Fri Aug 15 08:49:37 CDT 2003

After daydreaming of kicking Scott McNealy in the keister for not
putting a CD-ROM in the Netra X1s, I find myself in a pickle. An errant
patch fragged the networking in the kernel so I can get no TCP services
AT ALL. Sun Support said reinstall.

I setup a boot server setup just like in the Infodoc ID27794. I have a
boot server with CD1 and have successfully ran the add_install_client. I
have the client listed in /etc/hosts and the ethernet address of the
client in /etc/ethers. I also have tftpd running through inetd.

I then boot the Netra as net and no matter what, the box cannot see the
boot server.

So a couple of questions: do these boxes need to be on the same switch?
I am having a hard time understanding how the IP on the client even gets
set up, since the Netra is bypassing the hard drive to boot.

Can someone clue me in on the gotchas for net booting? Any docs others
have used?

Thanks,

Ben Ricker