[SunHELP] Veritas VM help connecting to an ESS? - update

Tim Bingham binghamt at upstate.edu
Mon Aug 11 12:12:30 CDT 2003

A while back, before going on vacation, I'd posted an email asking
about some problems with Veritas Volume Manager connecting to an IBM
ESS. Since it's been a while, and the issue is still a problem, I'll
summarize the ongoing problem so far.

I have Veritas Volume Manager 3.5 on a 420R running Solaris 7. I'm
trying to connect two disks defined on an IBM ESS Shark through an
Emulex LP8000 HBA. I can see the disks correctly and configure them
in VM without a problem.

At boot time though, the polling of the disks takes quite a while and
Veritas VM starts before the second LUN is discovered. VM declares
the second disk is missing and starts the process of moving data
around to recreate the mirrors on the lost device. Once the system is
booted to where I can login, I can issue a "vxdctl enable" and that
rediscovers the disk and I can add it back into the disk group but
it's too late.

Richard Markham suggested checking sd.conf to make sure it contained
the necessary lun entries for lun>0 and keeping all of the extra lpfc
entries that the lpfc installation put in. Andrew Hay suggested
putting in a sleep process to delay the VM startup scripts in init.d.
Emulex support suggested removing any unnecessary lpfc entries in
sd.conf to shorten polling time. Miguel Demaerel suggested setting up
persistent binding in lpfc.conf. The Emulex instruction manual also
suggested using a target number greater than 15 to avoid any possible
SCSI conflicts.

In short, I've tried all suggestions and nothing changes the outcome.

I set up persistent bindings in lpfc.conf to bind the disks to target
17, and made sure entries of:

name="sd" parent="lpfc" target=17 lun=0;
name="sd" parent="lpfc" target=17 lun=1;

were in sd.conf.

Still, the second lun is not probed until after VXVM starts up and
decides the second disk is missing. I tried writing sleep processes
in init.d to slow down the boot process, but it just slows down
everything, including polling of the HBA. Everything still happens in
the same order, just later.

Sun support said there wasn't really a way to slow down the Veritas
VM boot process and referred me to Emulex to ask what drivers needed
to be forceloaded. Emulex says lpfc is all that is needed and said
that there wasn't a way to affect the disk polling speed or order
from the HBA's point of view.

At this point, I will probably replace the LP8000 HBA with a spare
LP9002L I have in the hopes that the new hardware speeds something up.

Thanks to all those who have helped so far. Any more suggestions
would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tim

--