[SunHELP] Difference between NP and *LK* in shadow file

Mon Apr 28 13:20:17 CDT 2003

Thank you for all of the responses, but I should have stated in my first
post that I know that *LK* means locked and NP means No Password. I should
have clarified that the information that I'm interested in has more to do
with security and usability. We have certain applications that require a
Solaris userid to run, but no one will ever actually log in as this
particular user. Is it more accepted to input a NP in the password field of
/etc/shadow or to lock the account by using the 'passwd -l' option?

I'm not sure, but many of you might be running the Sun NetConnect for
monitoring your systems. Prior to the install, you must create a userid for
NetConnect so that any processes not needing root privilege will run as the
newly created user. The install directions say not to lock the account, but
essentially disable the login ability by using NP in the password field.

These directions from Sun prompted my boss to ask me the difference in *LK*
and NP.

Thanks again for all the responses so far.

Matthew Simoncini
Unix Administrator
Boston Scientific / Accenture