[SunHELP] scsi cases and adapters

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 23 23:34:57 CDT 2003

I'm trying to do RAID on a budget.

I have three new 68-pin SCSI drives, and I want to make a RAID with
them.

My plan was to put them on one of my old Sun SS5's.  It doesn't need to
be fast, it's just for archives and online backups.

I have an old 4-day 50-pin enclosure they'll fit in, above the tape
drive.  However, 68 to 50 pin SCSI adapters with 9-bit terminators are
$30 each, which is too high.  That's at MC Price Breakers, and other
shops were as high as $65 each.

Does anyone know of a source for cheaper adapters to I can put 68-pin
drives on a 50-pin bus?

Alternately, I could get a 3-4 bay 68-pin SCSI enclosure.  The problem
is they are very expensive.

So my second question is: does anyone know where I could get a cheap 3-4
bay 68-pin SCSI case?  With this, I could find a cheap wide-SCSI sbus
adapter for my SS5 and use it.

If push comes to shove, I can house the drives in my PC case, but I
rather have them on my servers.