[SunHELP] Samba question

Mon Apr 7 14:30:11 CDT 2003

Hi friends,

We have Samba running on many of our Unix servers where there is a
requirement for a Windows NT or Windows 2000 server to access file systems
on those Unix servers. We have a small problem that's really never been
addressed and now is getting a lot of "media attention" by our management,
so I've been asked to find a solution. Let me describe the problem:

There is an application user that logs into the NT servers and maps a drive
letter to a Samba share residing on a remote Unix host. Everything works
fine and the files are transferred by the Windows application to the Unix
server without any issues. The issue comes up when either the application
user in Windows logs out or if the server is rebooted for system
maintenance. In order to reestablish the share, the application user needs
to log into the server and stay logged in.

Is there a simple way to have Windows map the drive letter to the Samba
share when rebooted or does the drive mapping always have to depend on a
user being logged in?

I'm going to try Google and samba.org for more information, but I was hoping
someone has experienced this same problem in the past.

Thanks for your help.

Matthew Simoncini
Boston Scientific / Accenture