[SunHELP] last message repeated x times

Laurence H. Cohen lcohen at sec.sprint.net
Tue Sep 17 09:11:24 CDT 2002

Hi everyone!

I run a script which creates an entry in /var/adm/messages, on several
hundred systems, for the purpose of testing our monitoring tool.  This
script runs every day at 4:00AM, and creates the following entry.

Sep 16 03:59:18 hostname root: [ID 702911 user.notice] TEST logwatch

It is my understanding that the "last message repeated" entry only
occurs for duplicate messages in a 20 second period.  However, look at
the following entry.

Sep 17 03:59:31 hostname last message repeated 1 time

There were no other syslog entries on this system between the two above
entries.  Although the time alone is within 20 seconds, the date is a
day later, so the actual time is 24 hours and 13 seconds.  In theory,
this should produce another syslog entry like the first one above, and
not a "last message repeated" entry.  However, this is not the case.

Has anyone seen this before?  Is this a bug?  I looked on
sunsolve.sun.com but could not find any reference to this problem.

Thanks!

--
Larry Cohen
Unix Systems Administrator