[SunHELP] Slave NIS Troubles...

Howard Hurst howard.hurst at UnitedAdvertising.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 06:38:37 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'm just checking that our (Solaris 2.6) Slave NIS server is able to run
when the Master is taken off air...

I don't know much about NIS but thought that all the NIS'd servers would
automatically switch over to the Slave for passwd files, etc so I would
still be able to log in. This is not the case at the moment though!! After I
enter my username I just get a message about the NFS (Master) Server not
responding and nothing else happens...until I put the Master back in
service. I get this error whether the user's home directory is on the Master
or the Slave.

Strangely though, after I've rebooted the Master and logged in, the client
NIS servers appear to now bind to the Slave rather than the Master! (At
least that what the ypbind command tells me.) So the clients know the Slave
exists....(I've got the IP of the Slave stored in the local /etc/hosts
file.)

Can someone please suggest the files that I should be looking at so that the
Slave automatically takes over...

Cheers,

Howard.

howard.hurst at unitedadvertising.co.uk
Telephone: 01202 445136
United Advertising Publications Plc. Poole BH15 1LL, UK
http://www.unitedadvertising.co.uk
IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of United Business Media.
material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication and
notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.