[SunHELP] Settle a bet: Syncing passwd files

Bret Adams bret at fabrikant.com
Wed Sep 11 08:53:07 CDT 2002

Why do backups if you cant overwrite a bad passwd, group or shadow
file?  If you do the file command on those files they are listed as ascii
text.  They are not executables.  They only contain data. As long as the
data between the files are all good and valid, I dont see a reason why you
cannot overwrite those files.  But you might want to think about security
and who would have access to what.

Bret Adams
M. Fabrikant & Sons