[SunHELP] New disk installed not recognized by Solaris 7

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Tue Sep 10 08:02:22 CDT 2002

FWIW

when I've had to replace drives in our E3500 (hot swappable) I was
instructed to perform these commands in this order (to skip the boot -r)

devfsadm
devlinks
disks

it's always worked like a charm.

..and then Format..   If you're running veritas, you would then go on to
do that formatting/import the drive etc.

Just in case it helps!

- Joe

Ido Dubrawsky wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:39:57AM -0400, Andre' Blanchard wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Probably stating the obvious but just in case:
> >
> > On your working system, edit your /etc/format.dat file to include an
entry
> > for this new disk (Use one of the other entries as a template; replace
the
> > drive specs with the ones for your new disk.  Then run the format
command.

> > HTH
> >
> > Regards:
>
> Yep, tried that...didn't help.  I also entered the disk geomoetry manually
> through format and about 20 minutes into the low level format it bailed.
As
> I said, the solution was to put the disk into a Linux box, format it there
and
> then reformat it under Solaris.  That did the trick.
>
> Ido

As I am the one that started this thread, I thouhgt I would give an
update.

When I installed the drive, I expected to just format it and go, as I
haven't
installed a brand new drive in a SUN box before.  Once I ran disks and
drvconfig,
format would recognize the drive.  I performed a format on the drive and
then
sliced it up.  All has been well since that time.

I appreicate the emails from everyone giving me hints and pointers.

Thanks again!

Tige Chastain
tdchastain at insightbb.com
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org