[SunHELP] 2gb limit

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Fri Sep 6 12:37:58 CDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:26:11AM -0400, Tim Longo wrote:

| I am using mkisofs to create an iso image of some directories.  I've noticed
| that on one machine, the mkisofs process fails when the iso image reaches
| 2GB.  On a second machine, the process completes properly.  Both machines
| are running Solaris 8(64-bit), and using the same binary (of mkisofs), and
| mounting the same nfs file system where the image is being created.  What
| else could be causing this failure??

NFS v2 can only handle up to 2GB files.  v3 can go higher -- perhaps
you're using v2?

What OS and filesystem is the NFS server using?  It may not be able to
handle the 2GB file.  I suggest trying to make a 2GB file on it's
filesystem directly and see if that works.

mkisofs may not be compiled right to handle large files.  I know this
is sometimes a problem with Linux, but not sure about Solaris.

And why are you making 2GB .iso files anyways?  For writing to a DVD?

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com         Out of my mind.  Back in five minutes.