[SunHELP] vfsdump and ufsdump

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Thu Sep 5 07:28:26 CDT 2002

wow. something I actually sorta know about. :)

We run Veritas volume mgr and I had the same issue.. since the root partition
has to be UFS, you need to combine both ufsdump and vxdump. Here is a sample
of the script we run:

echo "Dumping /export/home file systems..........."
echo
ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/1mbn /export/home
echo
echo
echo
echo "Done dumping /export/home file system"
echo
echo
echo "Dumping /Data file systems..............."
echo
echo
vxdump 0cu -B 40g -f /dev/rmt/1mbn /Data
echo
echo
echo "Done dumping /ardsley file system"
echo
echo "================================================"
echo "Backup is Done!!!"

when you restore, you use vxrestore instead.. Here are some links -

vxrestore:
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~backup/newdocs/rvxrestore.html
vxdump: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~backup/newdocs/rvxdump.html

depending on your version of Veritas, the flags may change a little, but the
general idea is the same.

hth

Joe

>>> "Howard Hurst" <howard.hurst at UnitedAdvertising.co.uk> 09/05/02 05:52AM

The companies DBA has just hit me with this problem, which I now next to
nothing about....

Basically I need to now if it is possible to run an incremental back up on a
server with both UFS and Vertias file systems. Has anyone any experience of
this? Our DBA seems to think that you should be able to run vfsdump and it
will backup boths file system types - but that he's never managed to get it
working. At the moment he's running a combination of ufsdump and vfsdump,
which although is supposed to do an incremental backup, is doing a full
backup everyday.

Of course, I know nothing about Veritas or vfsdump....I'd appreciate some
input from someone "in the know".

Thanks,

Howard.
howard.hurst at unitedadvertising.co.uk
United Advertising Publications Plc. Poole BH15 1LL, UK
http://www.unitedadvertising.co.uk
______________
IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of United Business Media.
material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication and
notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com