[SunHELP] NFS mount and symbolic links

Thu Nov 7 12:09:09 CST 2002

You can sym-link to an NFS filesystem but be aware that unless you
explicitly allow it in the NFS share, root perissions do not persist across
the NFS boundary.  Look at the root= part of "man share_nfs".

It sound like a permissions problem to me.

FWIW: I think soft mounts are better for NFS - you don't want your server
boot to be dependent on a snap server's reliability, do you?

-M

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Chase [mailto:echase at studentweb.providence.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 10:08 AM
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: [SunHELP] NFS mount and symbolic links

Hello,

Here's my first attempts at NFS mounts.  I've got Ultra 1 running Solaris 7
and I've got a Snap! server.

I've successfully mounted the Snap! server as /mnt/snapsrv1 and have almost
full access to it.

I've created /mnt/snapsrv1/local and made a /usr/local ->
/mnt/snapsrv1/local symbolic link.

However now I'm trying to pkgadd the gzip package that I got from
sunfreeware.com

When doing, I'm getting a bunch of error messages...

/usr/local/bin/gunzip <linked pathname>
NFS link failed for server snapsrv1: error 10 (RPC: Procedure unavailable)
ERROR: attribute verification of </usr/local/bin/gunzip> failed
     pathname does not exist
     unable to create link to <gzip>

I can't create symbolic links on the NFS filesystem itself?

The only mount option I used was "hard".  Do I need something else?

Thanks.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |