[SunHELP] NFS mount and symbolic links

Edward Chase echase at studentweb.providence.edu
Thu Nov 7 11:08:20 CST 2002

Hello,

Here's my first attempts at NFS mounts.  I've got Ultra 1 running Solaris 7
and I've got a Snap! server.

I've successfully mounted the Snap! server as /mnt/snapsrv1 and have almost
full access to it.

I've created /mnt/snapsrv1/local and made a /usr/local ->
/mnt/snapsrv1/local symbolic link.

However now I'm trying to pkgadd the gzip package that I got from
sunfreeware.com

When doing, I'm getting a bunch of error messages...

/usr/local/bin/gunzip <linked pathname>
NFS link failed for server snapsrv1: error 10 (RPC: Procedure unavailable)
ERROR: attribute verification of </usr/local/bin/gunzip> failed
     pathname does not exist
     unable to create link to <gzip>

I can't create symbolic links on the NFS filesystem itself?

The only mount option I used was "hard".  Do I need something else?

Thanks.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |