[SunHELP] Running Sun servers headless with a terminal server ?

Wed Nov 6 10:25:02 CST 2002

Our entire environment is run headless with Lantronix terminal servers.
We've got maybe 60 or 70 Sun servers running from Ultra-2 to E4500's.

I think you'll have far fewer problems with serial console management than
the hassle of KVM switches.

Contact me directy if you have questions.
-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Simoncini, Matthew [mailto:Matthew.Simoncini at bsci.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:09 AM
To: 'sunhelp at sunhelp.org'
Subject: [SunHELP] Running Sun servers headless with a terminal server?

Hi gurus,

I work in a decent size Sun environment with mostly Enterprise class servers
(E450 up to E10K) with a smattering of SunFire servers (V880 to 4800). All
of our servers are connected to KVM switches for console access and it
drives me batty that every time we need to do maintenance, we have to walk
down to the data center and work from there. I've been trying to convince my
Team Leader that some sort of remote management mechanism would be better
for supporting these servers .

I guess what I'm looking for is some experiences others have had with
running Enterprise Class Sun hardware "headless" and what type of mechanism
they used for remote management.

** We have several Micro Annex Terminal Servers that we could use for remote
management, but I've heard there are potential problems with that solution
if the terminal server loses power or is disconnected while the servers are
"up" (i.e. sending CTRL-BRK through Serial port A).

Matthew Simoncini
Boston Scientific / Accenture
Natick, MA.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org