[SunHELP] sendmail

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Thu May 30 07:40:46 CDT 2002

I had the same error a while back. My host file entries and DNS setup did not
let the machine
figure out it's own name to send mail correctly.. it was kind of wierd. Here's
what I fixed at the time
IIRC:

Couple things to check:

Your host has to have an entry in /etc/hosts and there also has to be an entry
for the mailhost (smtp server)
In my case I am running a standby NIC, and I'd get the errors from the other
nic sometimes..

M5# cat hosts
#
# Internet host table
#
127.0.0.1       localhost
X.Y.11.36    test1.M5.FOO.com
X.Y.11.37    test2.M5.FOO.com
X.Y.11.38    failover.M5.FOO.com
X.Y.11.39    M5      M5.FOO.com
X.Y.11.7     loghost.FOO.com     loghost
X.Y.11.30    mailhost.FOO.com    mailhost

nsswitch.conf should look at the hosts file first, then DNS, and should tell
sendmail to look at files.

/etc/nsswitch.conf

M5# cat nsswitch.conf
#
# /etc/nsswitch.files:
#
<snip>
hosts:      files dns
<snip>
aliases:    files
services:   files
sendmailvars:   files

your reslov.conf looks fine from here.  I hope something here helped!

- Joe

>>> "Simon Jespersen" <shj at pine.dk> 05/30/02 06:07AM >>>
Hi list,
first i want to give thanks to the many respons for my previous post. Im
getting more and more confident with solaris

My next task is to setup sendmail on a solaris 8 box on my network.
i have put in a entry in /etc/host
ip    hostname mailhost

i have put in my name server in /etc/resolv.conf like this
# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domainname myweb.dk
nameserver 192.9.200.1

Still i cannot use mailx like this

echo test | mailx -s "test" shj at pee.dk

The messages file gives me this error
May 30 11:57:40 ptsweb sendmail[17075]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to
qualify my own domain name (myweb) -- using short name

What have i missed out here

Kind regards

Simon Jespersen
Project engineer