[SunHELP] E450 IBM Disk Problems

Paul Dlug paul at aps.org
Thu May 23 17:57:07 CDT 2002

I have an interesting problem that hopefully someone can help solve...

We have an E450 that started crashing every few weeks, then began
crashing every few minutes one day. Core dumps on some crashes showed
scsi errors, other crashes showed "dvma read" errors, and yet others
simply showed a panic.

Our hardware vendor replaced the system board, backplane and scsi
controller. They reported that 3 of our disks are dead. Not believing
the amazing odds of 3 disks failing at once we did some further
investigation. There are 4 Fujitsu 9gb disks on the 4port backplane,
they work without any problems. Any IBM 9gb HD plugged into the 8port
backplane refuses to be recognized. The light comes on indicated it's up
and attached but it doesn't show up in a "probe-scsi-all" or format. A
Seagate 9gb drive works flawlessly. The IBM drives are a mixture of our
existing drives as well as brand new replacements from our vendor. None
of them seem to work.

Seems like a strange problem, our hardware vendor is reporting that
they're seeing the problem on a E450 they have also. Is there something
we're missing?

Thanks,
Paul