[SunHELP] libnss, finger/logins, netgroups and other peculiar stuff

David J. M. Karlsen david at davidkarlsen.com
Tue Mar 19 06:21:24 CST 2002

Specs:
    SunOS 8, with latest MU-patches
    IPLanet 4.12

I have a nsswitch.conf with these lines:

passwd: compat
passwd_compat: ldap

ditto for "group"

I've added the user "test" in the netgroup "testnetgroup" which is added
to /etc/passwd as + at testnetgroup - and I ran pwconv afterwords.

I can login as test - su to test - e.g. it works. BUT finger test and
the command "logins" does never return! ?

---

If I have these lines in nsswitch.conf:

passwd: files ldap
(or compat ldap)

I can finger the user (but then I loose the ability to give access via
netgroups - all users defined in the LDAP-tree will be able to login).
The user is also, ofcourse, able to login.

anybody got a clue? Seems to work in SunOS9 - is this a bug/feature in 8
? :)

--
David J. M. Karlsen
http://www.davidkarlsen.com