[SunHELP] some odd questions about Fibre Channel/FC-AL

Elwood Blues fernando at secret.org
Wed Mar 27 13:56:24 CST 2002

I am trying to research options for a scalable mail-server setup.
I have searched far and wide for information regarding Fibre
Channel and high availability, but cant find what I am looking
for. Decided to give this list a shot.

I am looking at using Fibre Channel to interface with a storage
device. The reason behind this idea was not because of faster
disk access or the now relatively low cost of Fibre Channel
equipment, but because of the support for having multiple servers
on the FC-AL loop. Ideally what I would like is:

| server-A |-------| drive array |-------| server-B |

Where server-A and server-B have the drive array, which will be
set up as a single partition, mounted read-write as /var/mail
for mail-spool storage. The servers will have their own internal
system disks. Assuming that any program accessing the mail
spools locks the spool via fcntl(), would this be possible?
Would server-B see a file as locked if it is locked via fcntl()
on server-A? Or would I need Veritas or DiskSuite to accomplish
something like this? And no, NetApp is not a solution my client
is willing to entertain.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    -F