[SunHELP] FreeBSD boot server, for jumpstart install

Mon Mar 25 16:12:45 CST 2002

Subject: [SunHELP] FreeBSD boot server, for jumpstart install

I had a lot of problems making this works, at first, I was using linux
and I realized it was not possible because of nfs incompatibilities with sun

So give a try to freebsd, and I succeed installing solaris8 on a sparc
station 10

The major problem I encountered :

I was getting this error :
Mar 19 04:30:06 blah bootparamd: getfile got question for "sun" and file
"rootopts"
Mar 19 04:30:06 blah bootparamd: getfile failed for sun
Mar 19 04:30:08 blah bootparamd: getfile got question for "sun" and file
"rootopts"
Mar 19 04:30:08 blah bootparamd: getfile failed for sun

... doing a tcpdump host sun during the bootup, I noticed there was write
failure on my
root export so I modified my /etc/exports to look like :

/mnt/2/Boot     -mapall=root sun
/cdrom  sun

then I modified my /etc/bootparams to look like :
sun domain=neotokyo.com \
rootopts=rsize=8192 \
root=192.168.0.2:/mnt/2/Boot \
install=192.168.0.2:/cdrom \
boottype=:in \

I changed rootopts from :rsize=8192  to rsize=8192 (removing the :), I dont
think it changed something

I think the key is to let the sparc mount its root filesystem with write
permissions

I hope this helps

Yannick Mercier

Message: 2