[SunHELP] help: HOWTO set up an DNS-Root-Server?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Mar 21 12:23:40 CST 2002

At 01:36 PM 3/21/2002 +0100, Jens Hamann wrote:
>Hello,
>
>There are no problems with setting up an normal dns-server, which
>contacts one of the 16 root-dns-servers. Now i want to set up a small
>LAN with no connection to the internet and I want to set up DNS.
>Therefore I need  root-DNS-server in the LAN.
>
>Does anybody know where to get a HOWTO?

Try the following:

http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/
http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.47.8/NETNAME/@Ab2TocView?
http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/dns.email.security.html

BUT!

If the network is small and won't change much, it's _much_ easier to do all
the nameservice with /etc/hosts than it is to set up a DNS server.

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com