[SunHELP] help: HOWTO set up an DNS-Root-Server?

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Mar 21 10:23:56 CST 2002

You don't need to setup a root server in the true meaning of the root servers.

You just need to setup a normal dns server.  The only thing is that your
going to want to stop it from trying to resolve hosts not within your
network.  If for some reason someone was to attempt to resolve www.sun.com
or whatever, you'll want an immediate error back.  Not have the local dns
server spend some time trying to get an answer from the real root servers.

That might mean running bind, for this example, with an emply root.named
file.  I've not tried this so YMMV.  I'm sure that if this is incorrect
that someone will be along soon that knows better.

Good luck.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu