[SunHELP] PROM flash for Ultra 2 enterprise

Mike msp at monet.bestweb.net
Thu Mar 21 09:49:23 CST 2002

Hello, I've written to the list about 8 months ago regarding a sun ultra
enterprise 2 machine. Some of you may recall some of the posts as I was
having problems booting the machine; The cd-rom didn't work, root password
n/a, no floppy drive, and only a "freebsd" machine to try and boot from.

Well, the CD-ROM now does work, as I discovered it was terminated into the
other scsi interface on the board (no, it wasn't me that did it). I want
to thank everyone that helped in those cases.

I now have an issue installing Solaris 8 onto the machine. the current
version of OBP is 3.7.xx, and 3.11.2 is required. No biggie, the
documentation gives you instructions on how to flash the prom. However,
after setting the prom write-enable jumper, they tell you to save your
current nvram (eeprom > filename), and then run
/usr/platform/sun4u/lib/prom/SUNW,Ultra-2. Well, the "prom" directory
doesn't exist on the CD. However, I did look on another Ultra-2 machine
and the above path DID exist on the hard disk. My problem is /usr was
wiped out (missing device file c0t0d0s?).

So, my question is how do you flash the prom when you don't have the prom
files? Besides, how is an older version os SunOS (e.g. 5.8) going to
contain the latest prom revision? I don't understand that ...

The current OS that's installed is Solaris 5.5.1, and again the platform
is sun4u, Ultra-2.

I GREATLY appreciate any help, and would kindly help anyone offerring
effective advice in the future :)

Thanks!

Mike