[SunHELP] Re: [rescue] FS/FT: PGX32 24-bit PCI video card

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Mar 16 13:18:06 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've got a TechSource Raptor GFX-8P (aka Sun PGX32; they're the
> same card and use the same drivers) for sale or trade.  Would prefer
> to just trade for other interesting hardware (even if non-computer-related).

> http://www.techsource.com/products/specs/gfx8p.htm

Not to be contrary, but we use a lot of the Raptor cards... and while
they work with the stock drivers, I've found that if you don't install
the Raptor-specific drivers, you get the X server to hang semi-frequently.

In particular, I had problems with metatool (DiskSuite).   As soon as
you tried to drag anything, the cursor would go away and the X server
would be hung.  You'd have to telnet in to kill the X server to
recover.  Since we hadn't added user accounts yet, and hadn't
tweaked /etc/default/login, it actually meant I had to power it
down to recover....  bad juju.

I actually didn't know it was because of the stock drivers until
recently, almost 6 months later, when one server hung like this
and another didn't... turns out one of us had installed the
drivers, and the other hadn't.  We installed the drivers on the
problem server, and no more hangs.

--Kurt