[SunHELP] The Unix utilities with improved logging capabilities

Li John-a16118 J.Li at motorola.com
Fri Mar 15 01:26:27 CST 2002

Greetings,

For purposes of monitoring systems security, standard Unix logging features prove to be inadequate and/or inconvenient. To address this problem, some standard uitilies(for example: rshd, login ...) were modified to enhance the reporting done, particularly with regard to possible security related activities. For example: the modified "login" utility can reports to syslog on `INCOMPLETE LOGIN ATTEMPT', `REPEATED LOGIN ATTEMPT', and `ROOT LOGIN REFUSED'. Including the account names attempted and the originating host.
My question is: Could anybody point me where the modified utilites are on the public ? Thanks for your input !

Best Regards.
John Li