[SunHELP] Re: Disable Logging

Will Yardley william+sun at hq.newdream.net
Tue Mar 12 06:46:23 CST 2002

Ang Huey Yee,CSE wrote:

> I am running a batch file on the sun solaris system and it seems that
> each time it runs, it will write to a log file in the system.  Since I'm
> scheduling the batch file to run at every minute, the log file size is
> growing fast and eating up the hard disk space.  Does anyone has any
> idea how I can disable the logging?

how are you running the job? is it being run via cron? is it the cron
facility that's causing you problems?

if it's the output from the job itself that's causing you problems, you
can redirect stdout (and stderr if you want) to /dev/null; ie:

/home/you/bin/somescript > /dev/null 2>&1
(stdout and stderr to /dev/null)

/home/you/bin/somescript > /dev/null
(ignore stdout)

perhaps you could give some more specifics though, as the previous
poster suggested?

--
Will Yardley
william @ newdream . net