[SunHELP] memory leak under Solaris 7

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Mon Mar 11 18:58:51 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 bigj at flatwan.net wrote:

| I've got a Sparc 10 dual 75 with 128 megs of ram and it appears that no
| matter what I do, it chews up memory. This appears to happen while it's
| compiling stuff, deliver/accepting email, etc. If I let it run long enough
| it'll drop to almost zero megs physical memory.
|
| I've removed any unnecessary applications from running. Is there some way
| to track this down? I'd rather not go through a full install or for that
| matter an upgrade to Solaris 8 but if I must I will.

You're not running into a memory leak, you're just seeing the kernel use
the free RAM for disk buffer, which would make sense if you've got i/o
instensive applications like mail and compilers running.

when Solaris needs more ram for the kernel or a process, it frees up the
memory in use for disk buffer and allocates it to whatever needs it.

/dale