[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #1565 - 7 msgs

Dennis Murphy dmurphy at osxadm.com
Mon Mar 11 13:36:01 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 sunhelp-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> I have a U1 creator and a U2 running SOlaris 8. I have
> added a UWDIS card to both hosts that are connected to
> one D1000 that is bridged for HA purposes.  However, I
> cant find any info on changing the scsi-initiator-id
> for the second host's UWDIS card. I am pretty sure
> that the tweak has to go into /kernel/drv/isp.conf or
> something, but finding how to do it has me stuck.
>
> This stems from getting frequent scsi bus resets when
> both hosts are powered on, or system hangs when the
> second host has had its initiator id changed in prom
> (im guessing that is because the proom setting applies
> to the internal scsi bus, and it cant find the boot
> disks anymore).

Here are the procedures I use to set exactly this in our Sun Cluster
environments.  Best of luck!!

(From the Sun ES-330 & ES-333 course materials -- Sun Cluster 2.2 & 3.0)

Changing the System's Initiator ID
==================================
There are two ways to change the initiator ID.  The first way involves
changing the initiator ID for every SCSI adapter on the system to 6 (or some
other value).  This is done simply by setting the system's scsi-initiator-id
OpenBoot PROM parameter to 6 at the OBP ok-prompt.

    ok setenv scsi-initiator-id 6

Unfortunately, this might cause problems with devices such as CD-ROM drives
and some SSA configurations.  It also does not work if both SCSI adapters are
connected to the same system.

In these situations, you must change the individual adapter's ID.

To change an individual host adapter's Initiator ID
Find the paths to the host adapters.
   ok show-disks

Edit the nvramrc script to change the scsi-initiator-id for the host adapter
on the first node:

The followign example sets the scsi-initiator-id to 6.  The OpenBoot PROM
Monitor prints the line numbers (0: 1: and so on)

nvedit
0: probe-all
1: cd /sbus at 1f,0/QLGC,isp at 3,10000
2: 6 encode-int " scsi-initiator-id" property
3: device-end
4: cd /sbus at 1f,0
5: 6 encode-int " scsi-initiator-id" property
6: device-end
7: install-console
8: banner [CTRL-C]
ok

CAUTION -- Insert exactly ONE space after the first double-quote mark and
before scsi-initiator-id....

Store the changes, check the config, and activate it:
   ok nvstore
   ok printenv nvramrc
   nvramrc= probe-all
   cd /sbus at 1f,0/QLGC,isp at 3,10000
   6 encode-int " scsi-initiator-id" property
   device-end
   cd /sbus at 1f,0
   6 encode-int " scsi-initiator-id" property
   device-end
   install-console
   banner
   ok