[SunHELP] Re: sendmail using microsoft exchange mail server

Will Yardley william+sun at hq.newdream.net
Sun Mar 10 16:39:41 CST 2002

rmolugurk at yahoo.com wrote:

> I need to setup e-mail on Sun Solaris machines(solaris 7 and 8) using
> sendmail (or whatever it is) which should use our existing MS windows
> based microsoft exchange server as e-mail server.
>
> How can I do this ?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

well that's not a very specific question.  what exactly do you need the
machine to do?

i'd personally recommend removing the sun sendmail packages and
installing sendmail from source (or better yet, postfix -
www.postfix.org).

i'm sure the people on this list can help if you describe more
thoroughly what you're trying to do.  for instance do you need to setup
ldap for address book information? do you just need to setup mail and
POP3 / IMAP?  sendmail is only an MTA, so you'll probably need to
configure a POP3 and / or IMAP server so that people can get their mail.

do you need to use the M$ exchange calendar features and stuff?  i don't
think there's a good way to do that on Solaris right now.

--
Will Yardley
william @ newdream . net