[SunHELP] What is the largest hard drive that I can put in my ULTRA 2

Jeremy Towers jeremy.towers at btopenworld.com
Wed Mar 6 19:52:08 CST 2002

Hi Eric,

At several times in the past 5 years disk firmware patches have been in
the Sun mandatory patch list....  So Sun  do take this seriously.

Disks nowadays have sophisticated microprocessors and operating systems
and most bugs occur in the interaction of the disks with the outside
world.   Another example is where mechanical mounting design has found
 a weakness under certain operating conditions, and a  timeout has been
changed.

This may be pompous but its really the difference between being an
engineering company like IBM, DEC, HP or Sun  and the stack em high sell
em cheap PC  resellers.

For a simple system maybe you don't need firmware upgrades, but when it
gets more complex you surely will.

I did say that if its your own system, and its not critical to you then
sure, don't bother.

I realize the world may be changing and that  complex systems may be
replaced by single purpose systems , but hey, we are dealing with past
treasures aren't we?

and again, its only my 2c

Regards

Jeremy