[SunHELP] What should I do with my new ULTRA 2 ??????Comments Welcome.....

Robert Banniza RPBanniz at ascensionhealth.org
Wed Mar 6 10:18:11 CST 2002

This is somewhat OT but two years ago, the healthcare company I worked
for was using an Ultra 2 running Sybase ASE 11.0.3 as their Enterprise
DB. I was amazed that such a small machine had so much horsepower and
that 150 employees were hitting this thing all day long with their PC
clients being written in PowerBuilder. Granted the machine was hammered
but it ran without any hiccups. I vowed back to have an Ultra 2 one day.
Well, I now have an Ultra 2 on my desk (2x300 and 512MB) at work that I
bought on Ebay for $405. I use it for Snort as well as my workstation. I
love this machine and do not understand why Sun EOL'ed them. Granted
they are SBUS but they are BULLETPROOF! I think these machines are built
better than Sun machines of today but that's my $.02. Anyway, enjoy your
new Ultra 2. It will serve you for many years to come with little
maintenance.

Robert

Robert Banniza
Senior UNIX Administrator
Ascension Health
Phone: 812-228-2157

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, FTG wrote:

| Well my new Ultra 2 is comming tomorrow. Any suggestions as for a use
for it

I run all my services off a dual 300Mhz Ultra2 with 1.7GB of RAM. I'm
serving about 30 virtual hosts (5 of them have real, constant traffic
and
are PHP or CGI-driven) using Apache, a MySQL database, 20-25 users
logged
in during the day, and mailing lists totalling about 6000 subscribers.

This is running Solaris 8 with mirrored system drives (using SDS) and
external storage for luser data. Rarely will it break abovea load of
1.0.

the Ultra 2 is a fine machine, and it can take on alot just fine.

/dale
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org