[SunHELP] Solaris on Dell

Mars Filander marsfilander at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 3 08:26:03 CST 2002

Hi,
  I have the same problem installing Solaris on a Dell Laptop, did you get a
solution? Please tell me :-)
Mars

Your post: http://lists.sunhelp.org/pipermail/sunhelp/2001-May/010378.html

Greetings,

  I am trying to install Solaris 8 (1/01) on a Dell laptop. (Latitude PIII
450, 128MB, 20GB) I read in the Solaris x86 FAQ that I could not use the Web
Installer because I had exisiting partitions on my HD. I can boot from the
Software Disc 1/2. After selecting interactive installation I see:

Configuring /dev and /devices
WARNING: pcic_init_assigned: can't find available property for pcmcia

WARNING: pcic_init_assigned: can't find available property for pcmcia

Using RPC Bootparams

Then the installer asks me to "Select a Language."
No matter which number I press the installer starts printing some
(seemingly) random character to the screen. After about three lines of
characters have been printed to the screen they stop and the laptop starts
to beep. (I think the keyboard buffer gets filled)

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would appreciate the information.

Please respond directly to me as I am not subscribed to the SunHELP list.

Thanks,
James

James Crow