[SunHELP] gnu tar and remote tape drive

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Mon Mar 4 15:16:19 CST 2002

Our Novell guy just bought Veritas.  Once he gets comfortable with it and
gets off of another product, we'll be looking into adding the Unix and
Linux modules.  For now it's up to me and tar

That command would appear that it did something.

Mar  4 15:16:10 www pam_rhosts_auth[31818]: allowed to
root at spectrum.providence.edu as root
Mar  4 15:16:10 www PAM_pwdb[31818]: (rsh) session opened for user root by
(uid=0)
Mar  4 15:16:10 www in.rshd[31819]: root at spectrum.providence.edu as root:
cmd='dd of=/dev/st1 obs=bs20b'
Mar  4 15:16:10 www PAM_pwdb[31818]: (rsh) session closed for user root

However when I look at the tape on www, I don't see anything...

I did tar -tvf /dev/st1

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu