[SunHELP] forgot root password

jh jh at r2r.de
Fri Mar 1 03:15:12 CST 2002

if you are not logged in as root you have the problem that the system will always ask you for the password!
As normal user you have no chance to edit the /etc/shadow. Your only chance as normal user is stop + a, boot cdrom -s and so on (i described it yesterday!)

Eric LeBlanc wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 jerryfraizer at netscape.net wrote:
>
> > Try going to Run level 1, or you can boot from CD and copy over the /etc/shadow it might help. I ususally use Init 1 and it works the best if you have physical access to the box.
> >

> Hmm, if I type "init 1", he asked me a password.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Jens Hamann
Unix Consultant

R2R Informations- und Kommunikations AG
Anzengruberstr. 12    D-83101 Rohrdorf
Tel: +49-8032-9899-0 Fax: +49-8032-9899-29
http://www.r2r.de     mailto:jhamann at r2r.de