[SunHELP] Jumpstart Sol 9 on Sol8 IA server

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 29 00:29:55 CDT 2002

Has anybody had luck setting up a Sol 8 IA system as a Jumpstart
server using the Sol 9 SPARC CD media?  When I tried, the
setup_install_server script failed with the following error:

   ERROR: Install boot image /cdrom/sol_9_sparc/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot
does not exist
   Check that boot image exists, or use [-t] to
   specify a valid boot image elsewhere.

The Boot file does exist, but it's a symbolic link to ../../../s1
which does not exist.  The problem seems to be that Volume Manager
mounts the Software 1 of 2 CD without the slice directories (s0,
etc.).  When I do a prtvtoc on the cdrom device, it only shows two
partitions, 0 and 2, which are identical (sectors 0 thru 1125719).
There's no partition 1.

These are CD-ROMs from the Sol 9 SPARC media kit, not downloaded.  I
have no CD drive for the SS5 right now, so custom Jumpstart over the
network is my best (only?) option.

Any ideas of what the problem is or how to get at a boot image?
Thanks.

-k