[SunHELP] RE: Decrepit Sparc Question

Matt Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Thu Jun 27 12:20:57 CDT 2002

> Message: 4
> From: "Beaker" <beaker at myrealbox.com>
> To: <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:51:34 -0700
> Subject: [SunHELP] Decrepit Sparc Question
>
> I've got an old Sparc 1+ w/ prom version 1.3 & a dead NVRAM. Will the
dead
> NVRAM battery prevent the boot process from advancing to the ">" or "ok"
> prompt? The box displays the oem-logo, #megs RAM, prom ver., etc, but
then
> gets stuck at the point where the 1st meg of RAM gets tested. I've got a
> Sparc 2 w/ prom version 2.6 - also w/ dead NVRAM - that DOES boot
> to ">/ok"
> prompt, but someone told me that perhaps earlier prom versions won't do
> this. True?

I have the same machine and I *had* the same problem (solution: order a
new NVRAM from Mouser). I never had it actually hang at boot, but you had
to re-key in the MAC address and a few other things each time you booted.

So I'd suspect that your prom is just borked. Get a new one, they're like
$12...

Also see http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

"Rub the bee. Rub the bee.
Keep rubbing the bee or damn