[SunHELP] RE: What is the Host Id

Sentinel Sentinel u-235-sentinel at eudoramail.com
Wed Jun 19 12:11:19 CDT 2002

Basically your host id is like a serial number for your system (sorta).  I believe it is based on the mac address of your on board nic (not entirely sure about this).

You can change it if needed however if you are running licensed software such as Legato Networker (for example) then your licenses will become invalid.  Licensed applications depend on the host id and usually check it to make sure the software is licensed for that system.

I remember there is a way to change the host id (if you really need to) but off hand I don't recall how to do it.  Not something I do too often :-)

---
Hi all. I need to know exactly what is the host id?, what is it doing?, can i
give it any value? Regards,
Zakaria A. Mattar
Advanced Telecom Co.
Operation Engineer