[SunHELP] PASSLENGTH attribute in /etc/default/passwd doesn'tappear to work

jh jh at r2r.de
Wed Jun 19 10:16:34 CDT 2002

ymui at royalsunalliance.ca wrote:

> Yes, I'm aware of that.  Here's the extract from the Answerbook :
>
> Each password must have PASSLENGTH characters, where PASSLENGTH is defined
> in
>              /etc/default/passwd and is set to 6. Only the first eight
> characters are significant.
>
> If only the first 8 characters are significant, does that mean there's no
> point to set to a number greater than 8 ?

Yes, Solaris 8 doesn`t Support more than 8 characters. Only 8 characters are used to create the
encrypted Password. Solaris 9 is different, there you can create longer Passwords

>  My test results do confirm this.
> Therefore, my conclusion is the value of PASSLENGTH has to be 8 or less to
> be effective.
>
> Y. Mui.
>

>                     "Katherine
>                     Strojny"                 To:     <ymui at royalsunalliance.ca>,
>                     <kstrojny at worldne        <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
>                     t.att.net>               cc:
>                                              Subject:     Re: [SunHELP] PASSLENGTH attribute
>                     06/18/2002 04:38         in /etc/default/passwd doesn't appear to work
>                     PM
>                     Please respond to
>                     "Katherine
>                     Strojny"
>

> > I've changed the PASSLENGTH value to 12 in /etc/default/passwd, but it
> > still acknowledges a length less than this.  There is only one patch
> 103178
> > found for Solaris 2.5.  We run 2.8.
> >
> > Does anyone has a similar issue ?
> >
> > Thanks, Y. Mui.
>
> Haven't played with this, but was just reading that PASSLENGTH values above
> 8 default to 8.
>
> -k

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Jens Hamann
Unix Consultant

R2R Informations- und Kommunikations AG
Anzengruberstr. 12    D-83101 Rohrdorf
Tel: +49-8032-9899-0 Fax: +49-8032-9899-29
http://www.r2r.de     mailto:jhamann at r2r.de