[SunHELP] Server running slow

Subhasis Gupta subhasisg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 07:35:34 CDT 2002

We are having SunOS 2.7 and Oracle 8i running on it.
We are also having Sun Web Server installed on the
same server. One typical problem we are facing is at
times the server is running very slow. And even simple
sql queries is taking a long time. At those moments
the CPU utilization goes up to 40 % (ie average idle
time is 60% or less). But we see that there are not
any major database (server intensive) processes like
creation of indexes or updations that are running.
This usually happens after the server is up for 3-4
hours. At this stage if I shutdown the sun web server,
and restart it after some time, there is slight or no
improvement. Even my servlets are running dismally
slow. Can someone kindly send me some tips on how I
can diagnose the problem? I would be highly thankful
to all who are willing to help. Also if someone wants,
I can send output of specific commands to you during
the critical periods.
Regards,
God bless you,
Subhasis Gupta