[SunHELP] root user "prompt" , current dir as prompt in bourn e shell

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR ( SDaubigne@bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com ) SDaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com
Thu Jun 13 12:14:44 CDT 2002

You have to protect $PWD with quotes (or backslash) in order to force the
shell to interpret the variable whenever you change directory.

For instance, include this in the root user .profile (~root/.profile) :

PS1=`hostname`':$PWD >'

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE
sdaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>
- (+33)5.57.26.56.36
SchlumbergerSema - Sema Global Services - DW/Pessac

	-----Message d'origine-----
	De:	rmolugurk at yahoo.com [SMTP:rmolugurk at yahoo.com]
	Date:	jeudi 13 juin 2002 17:07
	:	sunhelp at sunhelp.org
	Objet:	[SunHELP] root user "prompt" , current dir as prompt in
bourne shell

	 Hi,

	1.
	  I would like to know where is the setting for root
	user's shell prompt in solaris. I login to the machine
	console as root.

	for non-root users it is in /etc/profile and
	$HOME/.profile as PS1.

	But the root user is not getting the prompt from these
	files.

	2. I use Bourne shell for a user called xx.  Is there
	a way in this shell to get prompt which displays
	"current directory". An example is : If change to a
	dir called test from my home dir /export/home/xx. I
	need the prompt to change to /export/home/xx/test.

	 with my /etc/profile settings as follows, I only get
	my home dir in the prompt for user xx. I didn't have
	any settings in $HOME/.profile for this user xx.

	PWD=`pwd`
	HOST=`hostname`
	PS1="$HOST:$PWD>"
	SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org