[SunHELP] solaris 8 problem ....

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jun 13 09:57:30 CDT 2002

Adrian Florea wrote:

> Anyway I looked into /etc/nsswitch.conf file and there is specified:
>
> files nis [UNAVAIL=continue NOTFOUND=continue]
>
> so why the system doesn't resolve that names from /etc/hosts file ?

Are the remote system names actually in /etc/hosts?  What that line is
telling the system to do is to look in /etc/hosts for the name, if it's
not there, try NIS.  It may be finding that it's not in /etc/hosts and
trying NIS, then hanging because it can't find it.  AFAIK, placing the
UNAVAIL=continue and NOTFOUND=continue directives at the end of the line
won't do squat if it hangs on NIS.  That may be the source of the hang,
actually.

Try this:
hosts: files nis [UNAVAIL=return NOTFOUND=return]
but I think this:
hosts: nis [UNAVAIL=continue NOTFOUND=continue] files
is the supported format for the 'hosts:' line.  I could be wrong
though.  Either line *should* clear up the problem.

If that doesn't work, for a detailed explanation see:
http://docs.sun.com/?q=nsswitch.conf+format&p=/doc/806-1387/6jam6926j&a=view

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com