[SunHELP] Shutdown by Non-Root Accounts?

CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com
Fri Jun 7 14:48:36 CDT 2002

I'm not seeing this one in the FAQs, but I'm hoping this hasn't been
covered before.

Is there a common method of allowing shutdown at the console by data center
operations staff? On our other boxes we tend to use an account with a
login/password of shutdown/shutdown which executes the shutdown command as
part of its login scripts.

What's the best way to go about doing this on a Solaris 8/9 machine?
Obviously, giving the account full root access is less than ideal, but
performing an su into a role created for shutdown access is probably a step
or two too many for folks who might be trying to shut down the machines
quickly in the event of power loss.

On UnixWare (*making sign to ward off bad spirits*) one would use the
tfadmin tool to give an acocunt access to shutdown. What's the best
practice on Solaris?

thanks,
-carl