[SunHELP] secure shell

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 4 11:17:56 CDT 2002

>From: "Simon Jespersen" <shj at pine.dk>
>To: "Sun solaris help list" <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [SunHELP] secure shell
>Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:54:38 +0200
>
>What does ssh do, does it crypt passwd access, and user data, can every
>user
>logon thrue ssh as it is now in the normal configuration.

SSH creats an encrypted tunnel. All information passed over this tunnel is
encrypted including passwords and usernames. It can be configured to allow
users with accounts on the system to login via ssh similar to telnet.

When you say "normal configuration" I take it you mean the "default"
configuration? This would depend on the distro and which ssh (ssh1 or ssh2).
  The setting below should allow user logins:

ssh1 - edit file /etc/sshd_config (or wherever you sshd_config is)
PasswordAuthentication yes

ssh2 - edit file /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config
AllowedAuthentications          password

For ssh2 you also need to make sure the client is set-up properly as well:

ssh2 - edit file /etc/ssh2/ssh2_config
AllowedAuthentications          password

Otherwise it won't try password authentication even if it's allowed by the
server.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator
"When people sigh 'Life is hard', I am always tempted to
ask 'compared to what?'".
               - Sydney Harris