[SunHELP] Difference in "time to prompt" for root vs. any other user with O penSSH on Sol 8 2/02

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jul 17 12:23:59 CDT 2002

I have a Sun Fire V100 with OpenSSH 3.4p1 installed on it. When I connect as
root, I get a prompt almost instantly, but if I log in as a regular user --
any of them -- it takes nearly thirty seconds (though the logon banner
prints immediately, and only an functioning prompt lags behind).
   I experience this when logging in from PC's or Suns (so it's not a client
platform thing), and from systems with static and DHCP-assigned IP addresses
(so it's not DNS lookup-related). This happened under 3.1p1 and still with
3.4p1.
   I edited the file '/etc/ssh/ssh_prng_cmds' as suggested at
http://bucc.buu.ac.th/~jim/sysadmin/openssh.html but there was no
improvement (so I don't think it's entropy-related: that is, the SSH
connection is up, but the shell is slow to launch).
   Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt