[SunHELP] Common Desktop Env not working

Subhasis Gupta subhasisg at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 23:26:31 CDT 2002

The problem was solved by the Tech Support of the
company which gives us support on the OS. This problem
was being faced only while logging in as a specific
user. What he did is given below:
1) Loggin in as root, he changed the home directory of
the user to another directory.
2) Copied the .profile file in the new home directory.

3) Logged in as that user from the CDE.
4) Logged in as root and copied the files and some
directories created in the new Home directory to the
old home directory.
(.dt,.solregis,.TTauthority,.Xauthority, .hotjava,
.dtprofile)
5) Changed the home directory of the user to the old
home directory.
Subsequently when we logged in as that user,
everything is working fine.
Thanks for all the help I recd from the group.
Regards,
Subhasis
Hi All,
Apropos to my earlier mail, fine below a listing of
the files in my / directory. I am seeing there is a
distinct difference between this list  with the files
in the home directory of other users who were using
the GUI.
I am having a typical problem. The common desktop
(GUI) is not starting up in my Sun Server. I can only
see the mouse pointer. Nothing else is coming visible
on the screen. I am doing everything using telnet. Can
someone please help?
Subhasis

# ls -al /
-rw-------  1 root other 432 Jul  7 16:14 .TTauthority
-rw-------  1 root other 147 Jul  7 16:14 .Xauthority
-rw-------  1 root root 1032 Jun  7  2000 .cpr_config
-rw-------  1 root other 1040 Jul  6 18:54
.cpr_default
drwxr-xr-x 16 root other        512 Jul  7 16:17 .dt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root other 5111 Jun  7  2000 .dtprofile
drwx------  2 root other 512 Mar 26 15:20 .fm
drwxr-xr-x  2 root other 512 Jun  8  2000 .hotjava
drwx------  5 root other 512 Feb  6 17:19 .netscape
-rw-------  1 root other 0 Jul 30  2000 .newsrc-news
drwxr-xr-x  2 root other 512 Aug 4  2000
.sdtspell_dict
-rw-------  1 root other 78 Jun  9  2000 .sh_history
drwxr-x--x  2 root other 512 Jun  7  2000 .vmsa
drwx------  2 root other 512 Mar 26 15:20 .wastebasket
drwx------  2 root other 512 Oct  5  2000 DeadLetters
drwx------  2 root other 512 Jun  7  2000 Mail
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  512 Jun  7  2000 TT_DB
(truncated the files below this as they are user files
and file systems)
While the home directory of other users using the CDE
is:
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle8i oinstall 230 Jan 6 2002
.OWdefaults
-rw------- 1 oracle8i oinstall     144 Jul  6 03:44
.TTauthority
-rw------- 1 oracle8i oinstall 98 Jul  6 03:44
.Xauthority
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle8i oinstall 968 Jun 26 23:42
.desksetdefaults
drwxr-xr-x 14 oracle8i oinstall 512 Jul  8 07:08 .dt
-rwxr-xr-x   1 oracle8i oinstall 5111 Jul 31  2001
.dtprofile
drwx------   4 oracle8i oinstall 512 Jan  6  2002 .fm
drwxr-xr-x   2 oracle8i oinstall 512 Aug  1  2001
.hotjava
drwx------   5 oracle8i oinstall 512 May 27 09:37
.netscape
-rw-r--r--   1 oracle8i oinstall 1018 Oct 18  2001
.profile
-rw-------   1 oracle8i oinstall 4820 Jul  8 10:00
.sh_history
drwx------   2 oracle8i oinstall  512 Jul  8 07:08
.solregis
drwx------   2 oracle8i oinstall  512 Sep  5  2001
.wastebasket

The distinct difference is in the root's home
directory the files: .OWdefaults, .desksetdefaults.
Will copying these files from another directory and
then changing the owner/rights of the files help in
any way?
http://sbc.yahoo.com