[SunHELP] Bus speed differences

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 30 09:58:13 CST 2002

On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:19 AM, Bret Adams wrote:

> I have a choice between an Ultra2 with an S bus or a Ultra 60 with a
> PCI bus.  The chips and configurations are basically the same.
> Is it worth the extra money for the PCI bus?

Bus speed can make a huge difference. But it really depends on your
application. I'll give you an example on (forgive me) non-sun hardware.

I have a powerbook g4/500, and a g4/533 minitower. One of the things I
do at work is move multigigabyte files around through a database. This
is not computationally intense. It doesn't take particularly long to
find the tuple it needs to return to me. However, the operation on the
powerbook can drag on up to a hundred times longer than on the minitower.

So for a database, sure, it can be important. Think about what youll be
doing with the machine. Are you going to be moving large files around?
Are you going to be serving files rapidly? (such as a webserver)

Furthermore, I think you are overlooking other differences in the two
machines. You may consider the actual CPU the only difference between
the two, but its also important to understand that there are hardware
differences. Not the least of which, the ultra60 has more room for
expansion and is a minitower. I find that a minitower is much more
convenient for being deployed on the "bakers racks" we see in so many
server rooms these days.

PCI in itself is also much more prevalent on the market than SBUS.

alex