[SunHELP] Apache2.0 build

chad kellerman ckellerman at alabanza.com
Tue Jan 29 07:18:47 CST 2002

Hello everyone,

     I posted a questions to another Solaris list about building apache
2.0 on solari 10/01 x86.  I wanted to try and keep the Solaris
configuration structure for apache, /etc/apache/, /var/apache/,
/usr/apache.  Instead of helping with the question it turned into more
of a bashing of " How dare I put software in another directory other
then /opt/ or /usr/local/"

     So I thought I would try and post it here.  Please, I know about
/opt/ and /usr/local/  I just thought, being fairly new to Solaris, I
wanted to keep the same structure so that when I do "graduate" to sparc
and Solaris 9, I will be more familiar with the directory structure.

Here was my post:

 Has anyone successfully built apache2.0 on Solaris 8 x86?  I am
trying to keep the same directory structure.  /etc/apache, /usr/apache,
and /var/apache.

  Here is my config line:

./configure --enable-layout=Solaris --with-layout=Solaris
--prefix=/usr/apache --sysconfdir=/etc/apache --datadir=/var/apache
--exec-prefix=/usr/apache --libexecdir=/usr/apache/libexec
--sbindir=/usr/apache/bin  --enable-cache --enable-mime-magic
--enable-usertrack --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --enable-http
--enable-suexec --enable-cgi --enable-rewrite --enable-speling
--enable-rewrite --enable-vhost-alias

I have tried --enable-layout=Solaris --with-layout=Solaris options
together, as just one option.  All different ways.

The make is fine, the make install works.  But the major problem I am
having is that the httpd binary looks for the httpd.conf in the
/usr/apache/conf directory, which isn't created.  The httpd conf file is
created in /etc/apache.  I created the link in /usr/apache/conf to link
to /etc/apache, where all the configuration files are, but the
httpd.conf is so messed up it is no point in keepeing it.  I'd rather
not have to build the httpd/access/srm.conf fiels by hand.

Has any one been successful?  Any docs on it?  I rather not use
sunfreeware?  It's a great site but, old apache....  I am going to go
with tomcat also.

I am keeping all the documentation that I have done so far, if any one
wants a copy when I am done let me know, I'll send it to you or post it
to the list.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Chad