[SunHELP] Sync two systems via tape

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 27 00:21:39 CST 2002

> I need to sync two systems which are not connected.
> I could e-mail the packets but I also have a DAT on both systems.
> Any free ideas?

I've been using this command of late:

tar Bcf - dir1 dir2 | gzip -vf - | rsh user at host 'gunzip -vf - | tar
Bxf - '

however, you say that these machines arent connected. (note the above
can be used over ssh with ssh-agent). You can use tar, we have a zillion
of those dat tape readers... use this:

tar cvf /dev/rmt0 dir1 dir2

to write to the tape. then of course you use:

tar xvf /dev/rmt0

tar (1) for more info. there is also cpio (1). note that gnutar uses a
native gzip and bzip2. depending on how much data you have to move, it
might be easier to use DLT or to physically move the disk. DAT is kind
of small.

-alex